Food and drink giants Nestlé and Coca-Cola – as well as retailers Asda and Iceland Foods – were among the food firms forced to pull products off store shelves, featured in the round-up.
Wangzhihe (WZH White Bean Curd)
Interlink Direct Ltd has taken the precautionary step of recalling Wangzhihe, (WZH White Bean Curd), due to microbiological contamination.
Batches of the product were found to have been contaminated with Bacillus cereus, a bacterium that can cause gastrointestinal illness – including vomiting, diarrhoea, abdominal pain and stomach cramping.
Customers that have bought the products affected by this recall were advised to return it to the store they were bought from.
- Pack size: 240g
- Batch code: all
- Best-before: 28 August 2023
Asda Mince Pies
Asda was forced to pull packs of its Extra Special Mince Pies from sale this week after it was discovered some of the products had been contaminated with small pieces of plastic.
The retailer has recalled the following date coded and barcoded packs of the mince pies as a precautionary measure. Consumers who have bought these products were advised not to eat them and instead to return them to their nearest Asda store.
- Extra Special 4 Apple & Pecan Crumble Mince Pies, Best-Before dates up to and including 13 December 2022
- Extra Special 4 Extra Indulgent Mince Pies, Best-Before dates from up to and including 28 December 2022
- Extra Special 4 Crumble Top Mince Pies, Best-Before dates up to and including 13 December 2022
- Extra Special 4 Apple & Pecan Crumble Mince Pies: 5057172886395
- Extra Special 4 Extra Indulgent Mince Pies: 5057172886371
- Extra Special 4 Crumble Top Mince Pies: 5057172886388
Aero Hot Chocolate products
Nestlé has taken the precautionary step of recalling Aero Hot Chocolate products because a small number of packs were found to contain small pieces of food-grade silica beads.
The manufacturer said the beads are non-toxic but do present a choking risk, making the products unsafe to consume. Consumers were advised to dispose of the contents and send the lid of the jar, the empty sachet or the sleeve of the cups with their full name and address to Nestlé to secure a refund.
The recall applied to all batch codes and all best-before date codes
- Aero Hot Choc jars, pack size: 288g
- Aero ‘Hot Choc’ sachets, pack size: 24g
- Aero Go Instant ‘Hot Choc’, pack size: 28g
Coca-Cola Zero Sugar
A limited number of Coca-Cola Zero Sugar multipacks were pulled from store shelves by Coca-Cola last month, after they were incorrectly packed with the wrong product.
The drinks manufacturer found that some multipacks with Christmas cardboard had in fact been wrongly boxed and contained Coca-Cola Original Taste. This meant there were a potential risk to consumer who need to manage their sugar intake.
Consumers who may have bought the affected product were directed to call Coca-Cola directly in order to arrange a refund.
- Pack size: Multipack of 24 x 330ml cans
- Batch codes: 301WA1, 302WA1, 303WA1, 304WA1, 305WA5, 306WA5, 307WA5 and 308WA5
- Best-before dates: 31 October 2023 and 30 November 2023
Iceland Takeaway Pilau Rice
Iceland Foods announced the recall of packs of its Takeaway Pilau Rice last week because of undeclared allergens.
The affected products contained egg, sesame, soya and wheat, which were not mentioned on the label. This was because the product had been incorrectly packed with egg fired rice.
The potential health risk presented by these undeclared allergens forced the retailer to pull the products from store shelves. Consumers were once again urged to return the affected product to stores to receive a full refund.
- Pack size: 350g
- Best-before date: 10 January 2024