AMC Freshly Squeezed fined £16k after finger slice

By James Ridler contact

- Last updated on GMT

AMC Freshly Squeezed Ltd was fined £16k after a worker lost three fingers in machinery
AMC Freshly Squeezed Ltd was fined £16k after a worker lost three fingers in machinery

Related tags: Drinks

Fruit juice manufacturer AMC Freshly Squeezed Ltd has been fined £16,000 for health and safety failings, after a worker lost three fingers in an accident involving a screw conveyor.

The penalty is the latest health & safety ruling meted out to the food manufacturing industry. It follows meat processor Kepak Group Ltd – formerly 2 Sisters Red Meat Ltd – being fined £600,000 in May after a worker was seriously injured in an accident involving a forklift truck.

Liverpool Magistrates’ Court heard that on the 25 July 2019, a production operative at AMC’s Whitemoss Business Park, Skelmersdale site was carrying out the daily process of cleaning the extraction area.

While the screw conveyor was being cleaned, the employee noticed that no water or debris was exiting the drain as it normally would. In an attempt to remove the blockage, the worker inserted their hand through the drain hole resulting in the severing of two fingers below the second knuckle and one below the first.

Unable to return to work

The hospital attempted to reattach the fingers, but was unsuccessful, and the member of staff has since been unable to return to work.

An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that, although removal of the drain plug was done daily, the company failed to identify and therefore eliminate the dangers involved in accessing the moving parts of the open drain point of the screw conveyor.

It also found that no risk assessments had been undertaken and no safe systems of work were in place. The company did not provide staff with adequate training or make them aware of the dangers associated with the machinery being used.

Fine and costs

AMC Freshly Squeezed (UK) Ltd of Degrave House, Whitemoss Business Park, Skelmersdale pleaded guilty to breaching Section 2 (1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974. The business was fined £16,000 and ordered to pay costs of £2,400.

Commenting on the incident, HSE inspector David Bellis said: “This incident could so easily have been avoided. Employers should ensure they carry out an assessment of the risks and put in safe system of works for the operation of all machinery, including tasks such as cleaning.

“Employers should also ensure that adequate information, instruction and training is provided to all who use it.”

Related topics: Drinks, Operations

Related news

1 comment

Loss of fingers

Posted by Linda Scott,

Maybe I missed something but surely the worker received compensation? (I imagine an 'out of court' settlement?? it is such a life-changing scenario.......

Report abuse

Post your comment

We will not publish your email address on the website

These comments have not been moderated. You are encouraged to participate with comments that are relevant to our news stories. You should not post comments that are abusive, threatening, defamatory, misleading or invasive of privacy. For the full terms and conditions for commenting see clause 7 of our Terms and Conditions ‘Participating in Online Communities’. These terms may be updated from time to time, so please read them before posting a comment. Any comment that violates these terms may be removed in its entirety as we do not edit comments. If you wish to complain about a comment please use the "REPORT ABUSE" button or contact the editors.

Follow us

Products

View more

Webinars