Methane gas from the noxious emissions accumulated in the building and “a static charge caused the gas to explode with flashes of flames”, Reuters claimed, quoting a local police statement.
Treated for burns
Citing the statement, Reuters said the methane had been released from a total of 90 cows, one of which was treated for burns after the incident on Monday (January 27).
The roof of the shed was reportedly also damaged in the explosion.
The methane given off by cows and other ruminants has been a major concern of environmental and animal welfare groups.
They have argued it contributes significantly to global warming, using the phenomenon to press for cuts in the consumption of meat from farmed animals.