Belu makes the case for 100% rPET

By Paul Gander

- Last updated on GMT

Lynch: 'Unless we... start believing in 100% rPET, we won’t get the investment we need in improving the quality of waste recycling'
Lynch: 'Unless we... start believing in 100% rPET, we won’t get the investment we need in improving the quality of waste recycling'

Related tags: Packaging & labelling

Sustainability-conscious water brand Belu has justified moving its bottles from 50% recycled polyethylene terephthalate (rPET) to 100% rPET, while avoiding options such as aluminium.

Chief executive Karen Lynch told Food Manufacture​ that Belu and packaging supplier Plastipak had been trying to move to a fully post-consumer recycled content bottle for the past four years.

“Unless we, as an industry, start believing in 100% rPET, we won’t get the investment we need in improving the quality of waste recycling,”​ she said. “There will come a point when consumers start to expect this.”

Belu offers glass bottles to customers, but not metal or beverage cartons.

Lynch claimed that all the company’s research showed there were no environmental benefits in moving to aluminium.

“Even with 70% recycled material, that still leaves 30% dependent on bauxite mining,”​ she said. “With so much anti-plastics feeling around, offering aluminium would be profiteering and would imply that the [metal] alternative was somehow better.”

Related topics: Drinks, Packaging & Labelling

Related news

Show more

comments

Post your comment

We will not publish your email address on the website

These comments have not been moderated. You are encouraged to participate with comments that are relevant to our news stories. You should not post comments that are abusive, threatening, defamatory, misleading or invasive of privacy. For the full terms and conditions for commenting see clause 7 of our Terms and Conditions ‘Participating in Online Communities’. These terms may be updated from time to time, so please read them before posting a comment. Any comment that violates these terms may be removed in its entirety as we do not edit comments. If you wish to complain about a comment please use the "REPORT ABUSE" button or contact the editors.

Follow us

Featured Events

View more

Products

View more

Webinars