Beating stiff competition from the likes of Finsbury Food Group, Sleaford Quality Foods and SK Chilled Foods, the meat processor was praised by the judging panel, led by Iain Ferguson, for championing a tough stance on modern slavery and illegal gangmasters, and driving a comprehensive programme of environmental initiatives.
One judge on the panel described ABP UK as “fantastic, best in class”, while another said: “They are industry leaders and take their leadership very seriously.”
Also winner of the Meat, Poultry & Seafood, and the Large Manufacturing Company categories, the panel felt that ABP UK won the top prize as they “stood out for the judges, clearly going above and beyond its category remit to tackle issues of vital importance and relevance to the entire industry”.
‘Ecstatic to have won’
ABP UK’s John Tynan said winning the top award was “absolutely fantastic”. “We have a team that’s really committed and focused to the business, and everyone is ecstatic to have won. It’s a great achievement for the whole business.”
Food Manufacture editor Rod Addy praised the overall winner and the finalists in this year’s Food Manufacture Excellence Awards. “The standard of entries in these awards is always so high and they are all a testament to the hard work being done in the UK food and drink manufacturing industry.
“Although it was very tough to decide on an overall winner, ABP UK displayed excellent standards across the board and is a very worthy winner of this accolade.”
Big Top-themed ceremony
The awards took place at a Big Top-themed ceremony at the Hilton on Park Lane in London, hosted by TV personality Gregg Wallace.
Other winners on the night included PepsiCo, which picked up the Training Award; Tulip, which won Site Team of the Year; and Sophie Paveling from Coca-Cola European Partners, who won Apprentice of the Year.
Professor Ian Noble of Mondelēz International also picked up the Business Leader of the Year Award, which was voted on by the food and drink industry.
Food Manufacture Excellence Awards 2018 winners
- Food Manufacture Company of the Year ABP UK
- Business Leader of the Year Ian Noble of Mondelēz International
- Ambient Manufacturing Company of the Year Sleaford Quality Foods
- Bakery Manufacturing Company of the Year Finsbury Food Group
- Chilled, Fresh & Dairy Manufacturing Company of the Year - Large Companies SK Chilled Foods
- Chilled, Fresh & Dairy Manufacturing Company of the Year - Small Companies Davison Canners
- Frozen Food Manufacturing Company of the Year The Ice Co
- Ingredients Manufacturing Company of the Year Synergy Flavours
- Meat, Poultry & Seafood Manufacturing Company of the Year ABP UK
- Award for Export Pecan Deluxe Candy Company - Europe
- Partnership Award SK Chilled Foods
- Training Award PepsiCo
- Apprentice of the Year Sophie Paveling from Coca-Cola European Partners
- Site Team of the Year Tulip
- Large Manufacturing Company of the Year ABP UK
- Small Manufacturing Company of the Year Hilltop Honey