The recall affected 600g packs of the soup, with a use-by date of March 30 2017. The soup also had a unique product code – 00711135. It is unclear what chemical had contaminated the soup at this time.
Consumers who have bought the product were advised not to eat it and instead return it to their nearest Marks & Spencer store for a full refund.
The retailer said in a statement: “The safety of our food is of paramount importance to Marks & Spencer and we take all issues regarding the production of our food extremely seriously.
“As a precaution, Marks & Spencer has removed [the soup] from sale whilst we conduct investigations with our supplier.”
‘Conduct investigations with our supplier’
Product contamination was also responsible for the recall of a number of meat products last week.
Meat processor Douglas Willis was forced to recall a number of its products, because they contained small pieces of hard plastic – which could present a safety risk.
The list of products the company recalled included: its CMR burger, Chuck Burger, 6oz Halal Burger, Venison Burger, Venison Sausage, Pork Own Thick Sausage, Lamb & Rosemary Sausage, Gourmet Sausage and Gourmet Pork & Leek Sausage.
All of the recalled products had a batch number of 17079 and were packed in clear tubs with a film seal.
The recall applied to all sausages packed on March 20 2017 with a use-by date of March 29 2017 and all burgers packed on March 20 2017 with a use-by date of March 26 2017.
‘Return them to the store they purchased them from’
Douglas Willis advised consumers who had bought any of the affected products not to eat them and instead to return them to the store they purchased them from for a full refund.
Meanwhile, bakery manufacturer Craig Foods has recalled its Slemish Assorted Pastries and Cupcakes because they contain milk, which was not mentioned on the label.
Products recalled included Slemish Assorted Pasty six packs with best-before dates up to and including April 24 2017, as well as Slemish Cupcakes four packs with best-before dates up to April 20 2017.
The products are a risk to anyone with an allergy or intolerance to milk. Consumers who have bought the products were advised to return them to the store they were purchased from for a refund.