Muhammad and Sanam Hussain discovered the creature as Mrs Hussain was cooking a curry on Thursday (June 4) at their home in Alum Rock, Birmingham, according to media reports.
Euro Foods said it had contacted its Italian supplier to investigate how the lizard could have got into the tin.
Once the investigation was complete, the Gwent-based business would put controls in place to prevent a similar incident happening again.
Recall and refund
Euro Foods has recalled the product, returned it to the supplier and refunded the couple for the 12-pack case of tomatoes.
The can was purchased at Masala Bazaar, an Asian supermarket in Birmingham which is owned by Euro Foods.
Mrs Hussain, who is reportedly seven months pregnant, said the sight of the Lizard had made her feel ill.
“It was disgusting. I am in shock. I am so worried about my baby because I am pregnant,” she told the BBC.
“I talked to my midwife about it and she said if I feel ill, I should contact the hospital.”
Her husband said he was alerted by his wife’s screams and that she was concerned for her health after previously eating seven of the 12 tins in the multipack.
“When she opened the can, she saw something and screamed at me to come through,” he said. “I saw it was a dead baby lizard.
‘Put off for life’
“We are worried about food poisoning. The can was part of a pack of 12. We had already eaten seven of them. Now my wife is off her food.
“I think we have been put off tinned tomatoes for life.”
At time of going to press, Euro Foods had not responded to FoodManufacture.co.uk’s request for a comment.
It isn’t the first time a lizard has made an unwelcome appearance in food, last year a women from the Isle of Wight found one in a cucumber bought from Aldi.
Also last year, a woman in Portsmouth found a dead mouse in a packet of Kellogg’s Crunchy Nut.