The conference – Healthy animals, healthy future, a healthy future – will explore Europe’s role in the global food security challenge and the affordability of food, sustainable animal production and the role of animal health and the role of innovation in animal production and consumer acceptance.
Affordability of food
Opened by Arunas Vinciunas, head of cabinet of the European Commissioner for Health and Food Safety, the conference will bring together a sustainable future and will bring together a wide range of European animal health and agrifood-chain stakeholders, European and national decision-makers.
Keynote speaker Vinciunas will explore the topic the global food security challenge: what is Europe’s role?
Other speakers will include: Jimmy Smith, director general International Livestock Research Institute, Paul Lorrio, member of the Scientific Committee on Food Waste Studies, Spanish Federation of Food Banks and Gwyn Jones, chairman of the European Platform for the Responsible Use of Medicines in Animals.
Consumer attitudes to innovation
Michael Freedman, shopper insight manager with the International Institute of Grocery Distribution will speak about consumer attitudes to innovation in animal health.
The conference will provide key foresight for European food manufacturers, processors and retailers, together with feed operators, animal health and agrifood-chain related organisations, European decision-makers and national authorities, according to the organisers.
Topics under investigation include:
- Key priorities for the Dutch presidency in terms of food animal products
- Food security and animal production – what does the future hold?
- Sustainable animal production – what should it mean for Europe?
- Is food security and affordability in Europe an issue?
- Disease challenges facing the livestock industry in Europe
- The role of animal health – how does it contribute to sustainable food production?
- Responsible use of veterinary medicines as part of the toolbox towards food security and sustainbility
The IFAH-Europe conference 2015 will take place at the Brussels Hotel Bloom on June 11 2015. For more details click here, or watch the short video below.