The acid spilled from a 28,000-litre storage tank at the site at Windygates at about 5.30am.The plant was shut down and 20 employees and contractors were evacuated.
A specialist contractor pumped out the spilled acid — a process which took several hours.
A spokeswoman for Diageo told Foodmanufacture.co.uk that a “rigorous investigation” into the incident was underway and would take another two weeks to complete.
Nitric acid is a corrosive and toxic cleaning product widely used in the food industry. It can release noxious gas if it comes into contact with water.
Diageo is set to open a £45m expansion at the Fife distillery later this year.