Concerns remain over HSE site

By Freddie Dawson

- Last updated on GMT

Related tags: Industry, Hse

Concerns remain over the fate of the Health & Safety Executive (HSE) website, amid a stringent government budgetary review of a host of such sites.

The online resource serves the entire manufacturing sector, but has a substantial section dedicated to the food industry. Many claim its closure would be a heavy blow for the sector.

"A big loss during the government's cost-cutting exercises would be the loss of the HSE website,"​ said Tom Chambers, Greencore safety, health and environment manager. "It's a fantastic resource. Everything's on there, from research papers to guidance notes. There isn't a better government website."

In addition, it provided free information, for which manufacturers would otherwise have to pay, said Chambers.

An HSE statement last month stated the HSE's Infoline public enquiry telephone service would end on September 30, but added: "All HSE information and advice will continue to be available to the public via the HSE website, which is undergoing improvements to ensure easy access to answers to the most common questions that Infoline receives.

"With effect from September 12, 2011, statutory reporting to HSE of work-related injuries and incidents under RIDDOR [Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations] will move to a predominantly online system."

The statement appears to confirm the continued existence of the site in the short term but, as Richard Morgan, head of HSE's food and drink manufacture section, said: "It doesn't say for how long."

Related topics: Food Safety

Related news

Show more

Follow us

Products

View more

Webinars