- Eddie Isherwood has joined Peter Hunt's Bakery Foods in the newly-created position of supply chain manager. He joins from Airbus, where he was a project manager for stores and logistics.
- Wiltshire-based Lyons Seafoods has strengthened its team with the arrival of Kevin Marfleet as planning and logistics manager. With over 23 years' experience, Marfleet will help improve overall efficiency.
- The Food Standards Agency (FSA) has appointed Gill Fine its director of consumer choice and dietary health. Fine has been with Sainsbury since 1995 and before that, was the British Nutrition Foundation's education and external relations director. She is a member of the Scientific Advisory Committee on Nutrition. Meanwhile, Maureen Edmondson has been appointed to the FSA board. She replaces Michael Walker, who has stepped down after four years. Edmondson will also chair the Northern Ireland Advisory Committee.
- The Institute of Food Research (IFR) has a new member on its governing body -- Dr David Clark, director of R&D and QA at ingredients company DMV International. Prior to joining DMV, Clark worked at IFR for 11 years.
- James McKinney has been promoted from commercial director to md at Red Mill Snack Foods. He has been with the Continental Foods subsidiary for five years.
- Supplier of speciality breads La Fornaia has appointed food scientist Shirani Nugara account manager with responsibility for Sainsbury and Duchy Originals. Nugara joins from Mack Multiples.
- Milk Link Ingredients has named Adrian Else as trading director; Andy Birkett as commercial director and Lynn Roberts as general manager at Staplemead, the company's HQ in Somerset.
- OBITUARY Leading food scientist Dr Peter Russell-Eggitt, who worked on Homepride sauces, has died in Cambridge at the age of 83. He joined Spillers, later named Dalgety Spillers, as a food research scientist and was with the company for the next 38 years. He was Spillers' representative on a number of food organisations such as the British Nutrition Foundation. He also carried out research for the government and received an OBE in the Queen's 1985 birthday honours.
Sam Beresford has joined Paragon Quality Foods as technical manager. Having already prepared the company's application for EFSIS assessment of its quality management systems, she will now be involved in product quality and development, ingredients and health and hygiene matters at the new £5m Doncaster site. Prior to joining Paragon, Beresford spent nearly three years with Fairway Foodservice as technical consultant.